There's a good series on iTunesU on this creative problem solving.
Note on Tim Brown on creativity and play:
- Playfulness open up possibilites
- Adult's self-judgement or fear of criticism kills creativity
- Role play is experimenting with design of a service or social interactions (what is it like to be a fireman)
- Role play act as a tool to teach empathy (camera recording what a patient sees in the hospital)
- Building prototype helps us explain our creation
- Question to reflect: How can we transition children through this play?
- we need TRUST to play, to be creative
- exploration (going for quantity), building (and thinking) with our hands, role play (acting out)